Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Momentous Occasion!!!!

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be able to draw Girls. Beautiful Girls, Sexy Ladies, Tough Women you name it, but every single time I tried.. they ended up looking like third-string drag queens. I would often look to incredible artists for inspiration such as Bill Pressing, J Scott Campbell, Tracy Mark Lee, Dean Yeagle, to name a few, who are all masters at capturing the female form with tonnes of appeal. Even with all these great examples, I'm not too embarrassed to say that many a pencil has been snapped in this endeavour.

Well.... Yesterday was a Red Letter day for me. I was sitting at my desk, drawing between animation playblasts, when this happened......

You are looking at the first drawing of a woman I have done, without any reference, that I am actually pleased with!! I don't want to exaggerate anything.. but there may or may not have been angels singing as my brush pen gently kissed the page :P
Now, I know its not much and certainly aint perfect, for example, the Eye Scales need to be swapped, but I think it holds a glimmer of hope that I am heading in the right direction. I made a photocopy to tinker around with, but this particular drawing is being safely tucked away in the vault.

By the way, the drawing was inspired by my friend Maritza who has fallen head over skates in love with roller derby. After seeing some of her pics all derby'd up, I decided to try and do a caricature of her. Here are some rough mock up attempts. Hopefully, Ill find time to do a more complete version and send it to her. Oh.. ya she doesn't know.. so don't tell her, it shall be our lil secret.

1) ...Perhaps a Queen of Bleeding Hearts.


2) ... Tough Girls file their nails with Big ass Metal Files!


3) ... yet another...


Well, thats all for now!

-Love Graham




No comments:

Post a Comment